- Elections for SCC Representatives:
- A request for volunteers to serve on the SCC will be sent out to parents during the month of July.
- The names of those interested in serving on the SCC will be collected by the week of August prior to the beginning of the school year.
- The council will consist of a maximum of 15 parent members and a maximum of 10 staff members.
- All elected positions are for 2-year terms.
- If an election is necessary, ballots emailed to all parents the by August 16th.
- Voting will take place August 16th through August 30th.
- If a council member resigns or a position was not filled during elections, the council may add members to the committee through a simple majority vote.
- In case of a tie the number of parent members on SCC will be increased for one year only and all parents who tied will be added to the council.
- The SCC will meet four to five times a year. Suggested months are September, November, January, March, and May. The majority of the council must approve of canceling and/or calling additional meetings. Meeting rescheduling will be done through email and then posted on the website when necessary.
- The election for a chairperson, co-chair, and recorder will occur in the first meeting of the new school year in August or September.
- Meetings Norms:
- Meetings will begin on time, use time wisely and finish on time, and stay focused on the agenda.
- Members and guests will come prepared to participate and avoid side conversations.
- Respect for others in verbal and non-verbal communication will be shown at all times.
- Avoid disruptions by silencing cell phones and taking necessary calls or conversations out of the room
- If for some reason a member cannot attend a scheduled meeting, notification should be given to the Chair, co-chair or principal prior to the meeting.
- Leadership positions include:
- Chair: Creates agendas and conducts the meetings. Other duties as outlined in Canyons School District policy and state statute.
- Co-Chair: Works with the Chair and conducts the meeting at request of chairperson. Will be elected from either the parent or school employee group.
- Recorder: Takes notes at the meeting and creates the minutes for approval by the SCC.
- A patron may bring a topic to the SCC by contacting the Chair at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting
and asking to be added to the agenda. The SCC may invite any person/group to make a presentation on issues
pertinent to the role of the SCC. The items that are appropriate for discussion by SCC include, but not limited
- Teacher Student Success Plan (TSSP)
- School LAND Trust Plan
- Advise and make recommendations regarding school programs, professional development and issues relating to the community environment for students.
- Parent/School communication and involvement.
- Safe Walking Route
- Items not to be discussed by the School Community Council include:
- a. Any personnel issues
- b. Individual student information
These Bylaws will be posted on the SCC page of the school website. Each SCC member will read and agree to abide by the Bylaws as signified on their declaration of candidacy and at the beginning of each school year.